President Donald Trump on Friday told reporters he will act as soon as Saturday to ban Chinese-owned video app TikTok from the United States.
“As far as TikTok is concerned we’re banning them from the United States,” Trump said, calling the action a “severance.”
According to NBC News, Trump did not specify whether he will act through an executive order, or another method such as a designation.
Trump’s comments come as it was reported Friday that Microsoft has held talks to buy the TikTok video-sharing mobile app from Chinese owner ByteDance.
Trump told reporters that he didn’t support the reported spinoff deal involving Microsoft buying TikTok.
The rise of TikTok in the U.S. has prompted the Trump Administration to scrutinize the app.
Trump said earlier on Friday that the administration was looking at various options for what to do with TikTok, including banning the app.
Earlier this month, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said the U.S. was looking at banning TikTok as well as other Chinese social media apps, citing national security concerns. Pompeo added that the Trump administration was evaluating TikTok akin to Chinese state-backed tech companies Huawei and ZTE, which he has previously described as “Trojan horses for Chinese intelligence.”