KUCHING: The new Sarawak Museum Campus will soon be a must-visit tourist attraction once it is open to the public in 2020, showcasing Sarawak heritage and crafts to the word.
The RM308 million project has two phase. The first phase involves the new museum campus and its annex building while the second phase involves the old Sarawak museum and the ancillary buildings surrounding it.
The construction of this new Sarawak museum has already accomplished a completion at rate of 92 percent and it is on track to be officially open to the public by 2020.
Minister of Tourism, Arts, Culture, Youth and Sports Datuk Abdul Karim Rahman Hamzah said that the physical construction of the building will be completed by March 2019 and it will take another year to move the historical artefacts into the building.
He said during a visit to the new Sarawak Museum at Jalan Tun Abang Haji Openg here today.
He said that the reason was so that proper research can be carried out on the artefacts that are being kept in storage before displaying it to the public.
30 percent of the new Sarawak museum will feature interactive contents while the rest of the 70 percent will feature more traditional exhibitions.
He said that the new museum will also showcase how Sarawak was formed while reflecting the identity and heritage of Sarawak.
More than 100 staff will be recruited to properly manage the new Sarawak museum compared with the existing staff of 20.
A children’s gallery will be set up with schools and families as the target groups.
There will also be an auditorium in the new Sarawak museum where seminars and briefings can be conducted.
The new museum will also house state-of-the-art conservation and laboratory facilities to ensure that all artefacts are properly fumigated, researched, controlled and cleaned before moving into storage.
Two offices will be set up in the northern and central region of Sarawak for administrative purposes.
The new museum is expected to be the second largest museum in South East Asia after the National Museum in Singapore with an exhibition space of 6,500 square meters. -Borneo Post